Submitting your SBIR

All forms for SBIR submittal can be obtained online.

SBIR Grants are submitted electronically via Before you begin the process, you must have both a DUNS number and Employer Identification Number (EIN). The process to obtain them is listed below. For applications to NIH, you also must be registered at NIH eRA Commons.

DUNS Numbers

Dun and Bradstreet (D&B) is a company that provides business information for credit, marketing, and purchasing decisions. Its "data universal numbering system," known as DUNS, issues unique 9-digit numbers that are used by businesses and the federal government to keep track of more than 70 million businesses world-wide. Some entities, such as states and universities, will also have what is known as "DUNS + 4," which is used to identify specific units within a larger entity.

Getting a DUNS Number for Your Organizaton

It only takes a day to get a DUNS number from D&B by phone (you may be on hold for a little while), but Internet applications can take up to 30 days! Note that an authorizing official, not a project director, of the organization should request a DUNS number. Call D&B's special toll-free number for federal grant applicants: 1-866-705-5711. Tell the operator that you are applying to a federal grant program and need to register for a DUNS number. The process will take about ten minutes. You will be asked to provide the following information (subject to minor changes):

Legal name of organization, physical address (and P.O. box if you have one), telephone number, Web address, name of the authorizing official (e.g., president, director, etc.), the purpose of your organization (e.g., non-profit dance company to perform and create work, museum that provides art exhibitions for the general public, etc.), total number of employees.

Your organization can also register for a DUNS number via D&B's Web site. Choose the "DUNS number only" option. Please note that registration via the Web site may take up to 30 business days to complete.

EIN Employer Identification Number

This number can be obtained from the IRS Web site.